This is the amazing journey of our two miracles. John Craig was born on November 30, 2005 at 24 weeks and 5 days gestation. He weighed 1 pound 8 ounces and was 12 inches long. John is a true miracle and an inspiration to all that meet him! Hope Amanda, our perfect little girl, is currently recovering from two brain surgeries to remove a 6cm mass from the center of her brain. Hope represents everything good in this world and she too is an inspiration to all.
For I know the plans I have for you, declares the Lord, plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you a hope and a future.
Jeremiah 29.11

Wednesday, June 06, 2007

Neurology Appt. Part 2

As I mentioned in my last post, I felt really good about our Neurology appointment. I was rushing to get a post up (a lot of people were calling/e-mailing....checking on us) yesterday and I didn't get a chance to go into a lot of details. So, here goes.....

  • The Neurologist asked me if I had taken John to a geneticist. I told her that I wasn't going to get him tested because all of his Dr.'s and therapists (and ourselves) that see him on a regular basic, do not feel that he has a genetic disorder. We know he was not born with a cerebellum defect (which at last visit she claimed he was) because we saw his head U/S prior to NEC and his brain bleed and we know that his cerebellum was fine. However, I did tell her that Jamie and I would probably get tested before we try to have another child.........just for piece of mind.
  • She asked if I wanted a repeat MRI. My answer was......absolutely no (micro preemie parents have enough to worry about, why stress myself out even more.) I know the bleed/damage is there and I know it's not going to go away so why on earth would I put my child through another test just for someone to tell me all the things that he may not be able to do. She agreed with me 100%. Now, if he were to start regressing then we probably would get one done. Chris, does this sound familiar.............look at the baby and not the monitor:):):) Same thing, look at the child and not the test results!
  • I told her that his hips were tight and she noticed it also. She also noticed that when she pulled him to stand he crossed his feet on top of each other..............all things that I am well aware of and working with PT on. Anyhow, she did note in her charts.........spastic diplegia (which is a form of CP) because of this. She said she was not diagnosing him with CP though because there is a possibility that he can work through the stiffness. At any rate, she said it was mild.

As sick as John was, the Dr's were very realistic and had us expecting the worst but we always hoped and prayed for the best. And, if he has CP, then so be it. I'd rather have him here with us and have CP then to not have him here at all.

Of course I wish this wasn't a possibility, who would? But, I can say with 100% certainty that I wouldn't be half the mother I am today if it weren't for John. Because of John.....my faith is stronger and my appreciation for the little things in life is greater. I feel truly blessed and like another micro preemie mother said......If I could go back in time and do this all over again knowing the outcome would be the exact same, would I do it? YES, without a doubt!

No words can describe the feeling I experience when John smiles at me or the sense of pride I feel when that same smile makes all those around him feel joy and for that, I feel like the luckiest person alive. The world is a better place because John is in it!!!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ok here I go again, reading and crying..I just walked in the door from Austin and HAD to check on ya'll...You are so right, having them here is a blessing no matter what, and I have to admit, when I look at Johns pics I can't help but smile b/c his happiness truly shows..

Anonymous said...

Just when our lives needed a touch of color, John Craig added a whole rainbow...

Radiating grins & giggles
Awesome snuggles & cuddles
Insatiable kisses & hugs
Navigating each milestone
Bundle of joy sent by God
Overwhelmingly special
World's sweetest miracle -
precious, priceless, and
loveable too!!!!!!!!

Proud Grams & Grandpa