This is the amazing journey of our two miracles. John Craig was born on November 30, 2005 at 24 weeks and 5 days gestation. He weighed 1 pound 8 ounces and was 12 inches long. John is a true miracle and an inspiration to all that meet him! Hope Amanda, our perfect little girl, is currently recovering from two brain surgeries to remove a 6cm mass from the center of her brain. Hope represents everything good in this world and she too is an inspiration to all.
For I know the plans I have for you, declares the Lord, plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you a hope and a future.
Jeremiah 29.11

Sunday, July 01, 2007

Much More Enjoyable

I cannot believe how much more enjoyable tub time is now.........opposed to the NICU. I HATED giving John a bath in the NICU (it made me extremely nervous to have his leads off).........baths were given every 3 days but I could usually stretch it out to about 5 days.....or until one of his primaries were working:)



Anyhow, we had a great weekend and are looking forward to a very relaxing week.........most therapies are canceled (M, T, W) and we are definitely looking forward to a week with no doctors or therapists.........don't get me wrong, we love all of them but it's nice to have a week off from EVERYTHING!

Other Tidbits:

  • I spoke with the nutritionist in Tucson and we will be starting the Blenderized diet shortly (as soon as we get our Vita Mix in the mail)......even though our GI doctor is not supportive of it. I have debated back and fourth about this and finally came to the conclusion that I am his mother and for once I am going to do what I feel is best for him. For the last 18 months I have been told what and how much to feed my child........and yet he STILL vomits daily. So, wish us luck on this new journey.
  • We should be getting John's headphones (for Therapeutic listening) in the next few weeks so we can use them at home and not just when we are at Speech. He'll wear them (and listen to special music) for 20 minutes 2x a day.

5 comments:

baby james said...

Oh yes the bath in the NICU ARGGGG! The only thing fun about that was the tuppeware used, My husband and I got a kick out of that. But OMG that was stressful to say the least.
I so wish you luck and say good for you! I know how you feel about being told when, what and how often to do this that and the other for our guys. Especially back in the NICU days as critacle as it was it still SUCKED not being able to be in control. I also remember the first time we walked in and some strange man was holding our baby. They never told us of the HUGGERS so it was a big shock. Any way good luck with all. Also what is the music therapy for in speech? Tracy

baby james said...

P.S thaks for listing us in your preemie friend column. I sure would love to get together sometime to meet. Tracy

abby said...

I can't believe that they tub bathed John in the NICU when he was still on the vent. OMG, how stressful that must have been! Up until she came off the vent, we just gave Hallie sponge baths, which was stressful enough and we only helped (our nurses involved us and we were there 24 hours a day practically, but tried to be sensitive to our insecurities about somehow hurting our baby). I remember the first time I sponge bathed Hallie by myself; it was exhilirating but still frightening, and she was just on CPAP. Anyway, I think that everything is more fun now for our kiddos and I am grateful about this...

Happy 4th of July, John and I can't wait to see pics from your week off of all appts/therapies.

Anonymous said...

Happy 4th of July!

Good for you Jill! I think that there is no one else who knows John better than you and Jamie, so follow your "Mom instincts" and give the new diet a whirl. I'll keep my fingers crossed that it is a success!

Take Care and try to stay cool, 117 degrees??? WOW thats hot.

Bette

Kim said...

I didn't know you were going to do a blenderized diet with John! What a great idea! And you're right--YOU are his Mommy. YOU know him best. YOUR instincts matter. And besides, you won't know if you don't try it, right?

I can't wait to hear how it goes--I will definitely keep you all in my prayers that this is the answer to vomit-less days for everyone!